Thursday, August 7, 2014

Loose ends (Wednesday - Thursday)

The rest of the week is rather a blur from my current vantage point (Oh to have written about it immediately!)

I packed.  And repacked.  And repacked.  And found the scale to weigh the luggage but couldn't read it because it was obscured by the bags themselves.

I went down to the University of Panama with Lydia to meet with a Ngobe woman and a psychologist about what projects might be interesting to the Ngobe.  We discussed a number of things, such as the need for the women to learn Spanish so they are not dependent on their men, the possibility of creating some sort of touristic situation to draw money to the Ngobe (much as the Embera and the Kuna have done), and a number of other ideas that swirled around the table.  In the end, it became obvious to me that we need to begin any project with a careful (and ethnographically focused) Needs Assessment.

On the way home, Lydia drove past several key landmarks I wanted to re-visit to photograph.  Barber shops!  Cell phone dealers! School kids! Produce vendors!  Oh my!



The best thing was the chance to have one last meal with the Maduros!  On Thursday night, I went down to their already-familar apartment to see Emita ("Mademoiselle, Missy, Emma), the ruler of the family, and her minions, Martha May, Carlos, Emily, Essie (Edward was at work).


We were all going to go out to eat.  But, as the time grew long, Emita got hungry.  NOW Mom!  And that "witching hour" that seems so universal with babies was upon us.  So Emily and Emita had to pass on dinner.  The rest of us, however, climbed into Carlos' car and went off to eat at Napoli - a wonderful "institution" that has luscious Italian food.  Yum!  It was not only delicious for the mouth, but also for the soul.  This very special family has made me feel welcome in Panama to such a degree that I feel like I am now part of the family.  I will miss them more than I can say!

No comments:

Post a Comment