Saturday, July 5, 2014

Crossing Frontiers (or at least hearing about them) (Wednesday night)

After my class was over, I gathered my stuff and went down to the University of Panama with Lydia. There, Martha from the UN (who we met earlier on the trip with Lydia's students to San Felix last month) was giving a paper at a conference on issues at Frontiers.  The papers before her were (of course) in Spanish, but I got rather more than I though I would.

Martha brought a beautiful and eloquent Ngobe woman, Eleana, who presented as well.  I thought of my friend, Nic Bidwell, who includes indigenous people on her papers.  It was a very powerful statement of partnership.

Afterwards, we all congregated - many people interested in helping Ngobe people - especially women - to have a better life.  Lydia captured everyone's contact details and we set up a meeting for tomorrow.

It's an exciting prospect to (hopefully) be able to continue to do research with Lydia, Elba, and my other Panamanian colleagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment