Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Sunday Blessings: Balboa Union Church

Today, I set off just after 9 am to head to the Balboa Union Church.  The guard called a cab - after yesterday's "adventure" I had no desire for a repeat, plus on Sunday, there is very little traffic and almost no cab traffic on Via Condado del Rey (my street)  So it was an un-eventful and pleasant trip through town to Balboa where the Balboa Union Church is.  I had chosen this church after much web surfing at home because it was the only English-speaking church in Panama City that is not evangelical and fundamentalist.  For me, that made it a better fit.  I also really liked their motto:
"Unity in Essentials; Liberty in Non-essentials; Charity in all things."  If that intrigues you, you can find out more at their website (where I first found them):  http://www.balboaunionchurch.org/index.php

Upon arriving, I was greeted by Martha M - a wonderfully extroverted and inviting woman who swept me in to meet others who were gathering for the service.  The building is quite large, but the congregation itself numbers only around 20ish.  I got to meet most of them and they were wonderfully welcoming.  I felt right at home, despite the small size.

The chancel is quite lovely and the pianist played on a Steinway grand!  It was a really nice service - and the sermon was extremely insightful and interesting.  I had never seen the opening chapters of Genesis quite this way before, and it got me thinking in the best of ways.  We sang a number of hymns that were familiar - and some that were not.  All in all, a very nice worship experience.

But the best part came afterwards.  One couple was moving back up to Canada for the northern summer, so a significant number of the congregation went to lunch to bid them adieu.  They took me right along with them and made me feel completely at ease and accepted.  It was a very, very nice way to get to hang out with them and to get to know them better.

Needless to say, I plan to "see them in church" come this Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment