Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Fires and Tsunamis and ... bears? Oh my!


Last week it was a massive fire on the hillside nearby.

Tonight (Tuesday), it was an earthquake in Chile and a subsequent tsunami warning for Panama, as well as for the Pacific coast of South America.

I found out about it when an email came around from the Fulbright folks and the State Department, asking that we urgently get back to them with our location.

I must admit, it derailed me.  I had been working on the slides for tomorrow's class when I got the email and immediately went information seeking online and on Twitter.  I couldn't find much online aside from a rather sketchy announcement of where the Warning zone was.

I talked with David who was wonderful and who pointed out that I was up a bit of a hill.  Which is true, but I couldn't get those images of Fukishima out of my mind.

But shortly after this, I found out that the Warning for Panama had been downgraded to a Watch.

Whew!  Dodged another bullet!

No comments:

Post a Comment