Sunday, May 11, 2014

Ouch!!!! (Saturday)


This critter made my day - but not in a good way!  After a day spent working on the presentation/class I'll be giving at the Satellite campuses of UTP week after next, and having a delightful Skype call with Sewellyn,  I settled in to watch a movie and do a bit of beading to relax.  I was quietly minding my own business when, about 9 am, it felt a sharp bite on my leg.  I jumped up, and felt 2 more bites as I tried to shake whatever it was out of my pants and, since that wasn't being successful, stripping them off as fast as I could.  Out crawled the able beastie.

Stomp.  Die you!  (wiggle wiggle)  Stomp STOMP!  (wiggle)  Stomp STOMP STOMP (with vocals added and a couple of, well, let's just call them "R" rated words)  Finally, no wiggles.

BUT I felt my tongue getting tingly.  And maybe to swell?  Panic!

I raced into the bathroom and grabbed an Alavert - 10 mg of Loratadine in a Fresh mint flavored  disintegrating tablet.  The welts on my leg were getting bigger and bigger and I felt panic!  Here I am in Panama, with minimal Spanish and a numb tongue!  What to do?

Luckily, one of the wonderful people at Balboa Union Church, Emily Maduro, is a doctor.  I quickly grabbed my phone and "What's App'ed" her.  And, doubly luckily, she answered!  We had a back and forth conversation where I told her what had happened, and what was going on now.  At first, it seemed like I should go to an ER - fast!  I was afraid!  How to get there?  (Cab)  What about my bad Spanish?  (She said that a private hospital should have English speakers so not to worry about the issue of language.)  But I was really scared.  I think that made me feel tightness in the chest - but then, the welts started to go down and the pain eased, while the numbness of the tongue started to lessen as well.  I can't say it's totally gone now - but perhaps that's from something else.  Emily stayed with me until it seemed that the crisis had passed.  I am so incredibly grateful!

Whew!

Another lucky moment!  Thank you so much, Dr. Emily!  

No comments:

Post a Comment