Sunday, April 13, 2014

Sentimental Journey

Another great Sunday!

This one also included my Balboa friends.  And Patricia invited me to go out to lunch and then on a sentimental journey with her friends, Millie and Arminda.  Millie's husband was a pastor at Balboa and so was Millie.  Patricia was there on staff at the time, so they know each other well.  Arminda lives with Millie now that her husband has died.

We picked Millie and Arminda up after church and went to a delicious lunch.  The lasagne was terrific, rich, and copious - I took more than half of it home and then gave it to the guard.  He always waves and calls cabs for me, so it seemed appropriate, especially since I am well-stocked following my trip to Rey yesterday.  Plus I'm heading to Chiriqui on Thursday with Aris and her boys for the Easter weekend, so I figured it was best going to him.

After lunch, we piled into Patricia's car and went for a drive.  It was fabulous!  I got a guided tour of the old canal zone, with commentary and stories and many laughs.  They marveled at the changes - everywhere, there were new buildings in the place of old ones.  Some places, old historical buildings were unoccupied and showing their age, with caved in roofs and overgrown rooms.  Remarkably, they said there are no squatters living in them.

I loved it!  I got to hear about a slice of history and to see the area through their eyes.  I hope to get to talk with all of them again - soon!

On the way back to my apartment, we encountered a large number of supporters of one of the Presidential candidates - the current president.  It felt kind of tense to me with chanting flag waving people in cars beside us on one side and on the street on the other side.  Arminda laughingly reassured me that if I hadn't seen this kind of thing, it wouldn't really have been the full election experience.

That said, I'm a bit concerned about the election, which takes place Sunday, May4th.  I return from Toronto and CHI the night of the 3rd and doubt there will be any issues then, but there's always a potential for violence on election day itself.  This year the parties have been particularly vicious towards each other according to my friends and that could signal a problem.  I don't plan to go to church that day, and I have a supply of food on hand that will see me through in the unlikely event that I can't get out.

I'm working tonight.  CHI looms large and I want to be fabulous in both my Case Study and my "course".  So I'm working through slides and putting together thoughts.  It will make it easier to sleep tonight and will calm my rather over-active stomach.




  




No comments:

Post a Comment